After any transformative body procedure — especially one as comprehensive as Hi-Definition Liposculpture — patients can experience swelling and bruising that can last for weeks to months. Immediate post-operative aftercare with compression garments, lymphatic massage, intravenous (IV) therapy, and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) are essential to reduce the risk of post-surgical complications and improve your overall cosmetic outcome.
Click here for our complete guide to Hi-Definition Liposculpture for Women.
After scheduling their Hi-Definition Liposculpture procedure, our surgical coordinator reviews all pre-operation, day-of-surgery, and postoperative protocols with each patient individually to ensure that you are comfortable with and prepared for all phases of the surgical process. Following surgery, most patients visit an aftercare facility with trained medical staff who are well-versed in Dr. Emer’s transformative body contouring procedures; in that setting, our patients receive personalized care, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and lymphatic massage for up to 2 weeks depending on the extent of surgery. Photos and reports are submitted to Dr. Emer on a daily basis, and our professionals closely monitor your progress to ensure your safety and overall improvement.
Dr. Emer recommends that his patients wear a customized double compression garment (foam underneath with a full-body suit on top) for 24 hours per day for 3 to 6 weeks and then nightly for an additional 3 to 6 months. Compression garments assist with swelling reduction, reduce bruising, prevent seromas and hematomas (which can cause scarring and infection), and help the skin adopt a proper shape post-surgery. Garments can cause allergic reactions in some individuals, so Dr. Emer asks that his patients notify him if and when they experience any irritation. Additionally, he advises his patients to shower daily and wear a white, soft cotton T-shirt underneath their garments.
In some instances, after 1 or 2 weeks, Dr. Emer will recommend the use of a waist trainer to further improve tightening of the abdomen and back following procedures performed in those areas.
Following Hi-Definition Liposculpture, the body is extremely swollen and bruised. To achieve a “Hi-Definition” tight and sculpted look, this swelling must be resolved and the tissue must heal. Hence, one of the most important aftercare treatments after Hi-Definition Liposculpture is lymphatic massage to prevent scar tissue formation and help ensure a smooth final result. Performed by a specially trained masseuse, lymphatic massage:
- • allows the fluid in your body to move superficially through the skin and out through the drainage tubes
- • removes toxins and fluid safely and expeditiously to ensure that the tissue does not become inflamed
- • reduces the natural swelling following Hi-Definition Liposculpture and body contouring procedures
- • decreases the chance of irregularities, lumps, or bumps
- • helps prevent fluid buildup (seroma), irritation, infection, and scar tissue
- • manipulates the lymph nodes to increase full-body circulation
- • helps the skin tighten and conform to the new body shape and sculpted musculature
- • further contours and tightens the areas treated
- • accelerates recovery and minimizes downtime
Dr. Emer recommends that his patients receive Lymphatic Massage treatments every day for 7 to 10 days for traditional procedures (or 10 to 14 days for procedures involving skin cutting or body implants); twice per week for the following month; and then once per week until healing is complete.
IV Therapy and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)
Making time for recovery is an essential component of aftercare following an extensive procedure like Hi-Definition Liposculpture. Intravenous or IV therapy, which should be administered 1 day before surgery and 1 to 3 days following the procedure, can help restore necessary hydration, fluids, vitamins, and minerals lost during surgery. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (or HBOT) promotes oxygen flow in the body, improves oxygenation of blood cells, prevents necrosis (skin damage), decreases the risk of nerve injury, and rapidly reduces bruising and swelling. HBOT should be performed every day for 7 to 14 days following your procedure.
Regular Exercise and Proper Diet
3 to 4 weeks after their procedure, Dr. Emer advises his patients to resume exercise slowly and with caution. Regular workouts will help reduce swelling and minimize irregularities as well as help the skin to tighten and take form. An active lifestyle and consistently healthy eating habits are necessary to achieve the life-altering results of the Hi-Definition Liposculpture procedure and maintain those results for years to come.
How does Dr. Emer do it differently?
A pioneer in customized combination approaches to obtain optimal outcomes, Dr. Emer advises that his patients further improve their final results by including non-surgical treatments as part of their aftercare protocol.
- • Cutera truSculpt iD, BTL Vanquish, and Coolsculpting can help provide further fat removal and skin tightening.
- • InMode Forma/Contoura, BTL Exilis Ultra and Venus Legacy can assist with skin tightening and help decrease swelling and scar tissue formation.
- • InMode BodyFX is a non-surgical radiofrequency and vacuum device that lifts up the tissue to allow for deeper penetration of the RF energy. Aside from additional skin tightening, BodyFX can help further reduce fat, resolve post-operative swelling, enhance skin texture, and improve the appearance of cellulite.
- • Vibration or shockwave therapy with BTL Cellutone, EVIVE, and Zimmer ZWave can help smooth the skin, remove scar tissue, decrease swelling, and improve the skin’s overall final appearance
- • VEC (Venus Legacy + Exilis Ultra + Cellutone) or VVZ (Venus Legacy + Vanquish + ZWave) can work in combination to accelerate the post-procedure healing process.
- • Additionally, radiofrequency technologies (including Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, InMode Forma/Contoura) and vibration/shockwave therapies (ZWave, Cellutone, EVIVE) can limit complications such as fluid buildup (seroma) or blood buildup (hematoma); decrease the risk of scar tissue formation (fibrosis); and improve the ultimate outcome of the Hi-Definition Liposculpture procedure. Dr. Emer advises that his patients obtain radiofrequency and shockwave treatments twice per week for one month; once per week for the following month; and then once or twice per month indefinitely.
- • Kybella injections can be used to further enhance definition and address any remaining, small pocket areas of fat.
What is the downtime after Hi-Definition Liposculpture?
You can anticipate a significant amount of downtime following a Hi-Definition Liposculpture procedure. While a weekend of downtime with compression is typical for most patients undergoing traditional tumescent liposuction, the downtime for Hi-Def Liposculpture is normally 1 to 2 weeks. If the procedure involves skin cutting, significant fat grafting, body lifting, or surgical implants, then the downtime may be 2 to 3 weeks or more.
In the first two weeks, patients will experience a great deal of drainage and leakage; this is a vital step in the process as lymphatic massage and fluid draining can help prevent infection, fluid buildup (seroma), and scar tissue formation, which are all potential occurrences in any liposuction procedure.
You can also anticipate a considerable amount of swelling, which can last for weeks or even months following the procedure. Dr. Emer always warns his patients that they will not see their final results for 6 to 12 months, so patience is key.
I want more information about Hi-Definition Liposculpture!
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Emer in Beverly Hills / Los Angeles / West Hollywood, California, please reach out to our concierge to schedule an appointment. Call 424-800-4140 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.